OPPOSITION LEADER: The CoP, PCA and PSB must act against corrupt police officers, fete organisers, bar and club owners
The proliferation of noise pollution emanating from fetes, bars and clubs is an intolerable scourge on the mental health of citizens. As part of the UNC local government campaign, we have committed to securing our citizens’ mental health.
The system for licensing these noise-making events and establishments is riddled with corruption and collusion between the party organizers, establishment owners, corrupt police officers and magistrates.
There are many reports made to MPs and councillors daily from our constituents about:
1. The TTPS ignoring complaints of noise from bars and fetes.
2. Police officers accepting bribes in the form of cash and free services from bar owners to assist in acquiring licenses.
3. Police officers refusing to inform residents of hearings for license renewals in order to prevent objections.
4. Police officers actually giving witness statements to the court in support of granting licenses despite complaints from citizens.
5. Senior police officers intimidating decent police prosecutors into disregarding citizens’ complaints and allowing the licenses to be granted without objection.
6. Police officers owning bars and manipulating the system to avoid accountability for noise pollution
The system of granting bar and party licenses must be immediately changed to remove the TTPS as the complainant and prosecutor against these perennial noise polluters and allow citizens to hire their own attorneys to bring complaints and represent them in ALL bar and party licensing hearings.
This is the only way the licensing system can work as ordinary citizens are disadvantaged due to bribery and intimidation. This is the only way to eliminate the corruption in granting these objectionable licenses which some members of the TTPS are enabling in collusion with license applicants.
This country is fed up with these perennially disgusting noise polluters and the equally disgusting corruption from the members of the TTPS who allow it. When the UNC returns to government, I guarantee that these revolting and repulsive noise polluters will be severely dealt with along with their cohorts in the TTPS and the Magistracy.
I call on all citizens who are affected by the corrupt granting of these licenses and have information on corrupt TTPS officers and license applicants to contact your MPs and councillors and to make complaints to the PCA and PSB.
Kamla Persad-Bissessar, SC, MP
Leader of the Opposition
31st July 2023