The Prime Minister meets today with Sandals International to continue talks on the Sandals Tobago project. As this process of negotiation continues, the citizens of Trinidad and Tobago have been kept in the dark for nearly three years as to the terms and conditions of this ongoing deal. The defence from government that the deal has not been concluded so no information is necessary is really setting the stage to assume underhanded dealings.
The citizens deserve a transparent and accountable process as billions of taxpayers’ dollars are to be invested.
Some of the burning issues on the minds of the taxpayers are:
1. What concessions are Sandals International asking for to set up in Tobago?
2. How many years of tax breaks are they requesting?
3. How much is the initial investment for designs, construction and building plan?
4. What are the risks involved with this venture and how are they to be mitigated? Was a business plan done?
5. Is there a role for the private sector in this project?
6. What is the role of the THA in this project?
7. Is there a role for the Trinidad and Tobago agricultural sector?
I therefore call upon Prime Minister Keith Rowley to give a detailed account of the ongoing negotiations between Sandals International and the Government of Trinidad and Tobago after his very important tour of the proposed sites today.
Ramona Ramdial, MP
Member for Couva North