Is the proposed transaction between the government and Patriotic Energies just a sham? Is a charade being perpetrated on the public to aid the Rowley regime in the two upcoming elections while simultaneously allowing Ancel Roget and David Abdullah to evade questions on their failure to protect Petrotrin workers?
This entire affair now seems to be an orchestrated attempt to save the necks of Rowley, Roget and Abdullah. Former workers are now calling on my office to protect and assist them as they no longer have any faith in the current leadership of the OWTU or the Rowley regime.
The Rowley regime, Ancel Roget and David Abdullah have already conned the Petrotrin workers once, the UNC and I will not allow them to do it again. Instead of answering the questions posed to them regarding this transaction, all three parties have chosen to deflect and hide behind threats and insults.
Ancel Roget and David Abdullah must answer the following questions:
- Who is lending you 4.55 billion dollars to buy the refinery?
- Who is lending you 2.5 billion dollars to refurbish the refinery? Since the assets of the refinery are encumbered, what collateral will be used?Is Patriotic unable to raise the funding and is, therefore, looking for a scapegoat in the UNC to blame for their failure?
- Is it the Plan of the Rowley regime, Ancel Roget and David Abdullah to string out this chrade until after the general elections next year and then dump the Petrotrin workers again while blaming the UNC?
- Why did Ancel Roget and David Abdullah fail to save the jobs of Petrotrin workers despite knowing in advance of the closure? They did nothing to protect the workers!
- Why are they attacking the UNC who are willing to reopen the refinery but not the Rowley regime who shut it down?
- Why no ultimatum to the Rowley regime when OAS workers, TSTT, UTT, Mittal and over 63,000 workers lost their jobs under the Rowley regime? Yet they continually attack the UNC.
- Do they already know they cannot meet the criteria and are now looking for a way out by blaming the UNC?
- Why no JSC sittings so the country can know what is going on with regards to this
- We call on these three parties to come clean and tell the population the details of this deal if there are any details and to stop further traumatising the Petrotrin workers with their lies and failures.
The majority of these workers who lost their jobs come from constituencies which are represented by the UNC.
The UNC and I will not allow the Rowley regime or the Roget and Abdullah tandem to play more games with the Petrotrin workers. When this sham deal falls apart, and the details emerge the only persons who will suffer are the workers. I call on the workers to stay strong; the UNC will reopen the refinery and get Trinidad and Tobago working again.