By now you may know that I am suing Prime Minister Rowley for defamation. This concerns his recent slanderous, malicious and deceitful statements against me, in his vain attempt to defend his highly questionable actions in the ongoing ‘Fuelgate’ fiasco.
I have chosen this course of action because PM Rowley must no longer be allowed to get away with his ongoing use of flagrant character assassination in his quest for political power. Indeed, it is reminiscent of his false, debunked Emailgate claims some years ago.
Notably, in the past few years, this destructive propaganda strategy of the Rowley regime has dangerously crossed the traditional boundaries of fair comment against ONLY one’s political opponents. Ordinary citizens who dare question his Government’s actions are now also routinely targeted with similar unjust intimidation tactics.
As Trinidad &Tobago’s Opposition Leader, through the UNC party, I represent hundreds of thousands of citizens in and out of the Parliament. I therefore, have a mandate and responsibility, on their behalf, to speak out on any and every crisis menacing our country. This is also the democratic right of ordinary citizens.
Any attempt, therefore, by a Prime Minister to unfairly malign and intimidate citizens, including me, in this regard constitutes a very disturbing abuse of power and serious violation of our Constitutional rights. This is the case with PM Rowley’s repeated false allegations that I have “called for US sanctions against T&T,” and his highly defamatory labeling of me as a “traitor.”
PM Rowley is fully aware, you see, of the following facts:
1. I have never, in any way, ever called for the US to impose sanctions on T&T
2. All my public comments concerning the US investigations and sanctions have clearly and repeatedly cited local and international media reports as the source of my information
3. To date, the US authorities have NOT contradicted these claims
4. Trinidad &Tobago’s Opposition Leader, and ordinary citizens, have absolutely no influence whatsoever over who the US chooses to impose sanctions on
5. The US imposed sanctions against Venezuela since 2019
6. It is the sole actions of PM Rowley and certain senior officials of his Government, NOT the Opposition Leader or any other citizen, which have placed T&T under the current US investigation/threat of sanctions
7. I have simply underscored the fact that T&T simply cannot afford to risk any such sanctions
8. This because the US remains our most powerful and important global trade and national security ally, and currently serves as a significant prop for our very fragile economy
It is noteworthy that PM Rowley has not also accused the Guardian and Express newspapers of similarly “inviting US sanctions” and being a ‘traitor”. This despite the fact that they have published several stories and editorials which echo my public comments and concerns on the Fuelgate fiasco.
This merely proves that, by singling me out, PM Rowley is deliberately seeking to assassinate my character in pursuit of his own political agenda.
Notably, this legal action is being taken at my own personal expense. Similarly, I am suing PM Rowley in his own personal capacity I therefore, call on him to give a public undertaking that he would not utilize any taxpayers’ dollars in any way to mount his legal defense in this matter.
It is also useful to note that under Oath in a witness box, PM Rowley would be constrained to tell the truth or face perjury charges. Perhaps, then, T&T will finally learn the truth about the Fuelgate debacle.
It is nevertheless highly unfortunate that it had to reach to this stage—where the only way citizens may get the truth from their Prime Minister on such a crucial matter of national importance would be through a court case brought against him.
Stay safe and God bless.